Give the sweet harvest of Summer pears and zucchini a fresh new taste with this delicious Summer Pear-Zucchini Soup. It’s decorated with fresh toppings for an elegant presentation for your next BBQ or picnic.
Known to be a bit bland, pear and zucchini get a blast of flavour in this delicious soup that can be served for a nice picnic lunch or as an appetizer to a delicious summer outdoor BBQ.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion – chopped
- 2 small carrots – chopped
- 1 potato – chopped (use a baking potato or a few small white potatoes)
- ½ teaspoon of dried thyme
- fresh ground pink or sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 fresh small-medium sized zucchini, peeled and diced
- 3 medium ripe (not mushy) summer fresh pears, peeled, remove the core and slice/dice
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- Fresh chopped thyme (for garnish)
- 1 small extra zucchini (to grate for garnish)
- 1 small extra pear (to cut into small cubes for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or use pecans if you don’t have walnuts)
Once soup is prepared, sprinkle the fresh thyme, grated fresh zucchini, cubed fresh pear and walnuts over top of the warm soup.
Instructions for Preparation:
- Melt butter over medium heat; when butter is melted, add the potato, onion, carrots and dried thyme and stir til veggies are cooked tender but not browned up. Add salt and pepper to taste. When veggies turn soft, add in the zucchini and continue to cook til zucchini is soft and tender.
- Add in the pears and stir until softened – this is about 8 minutes. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring mixture to a boil; taste and adjust seasoning – then add pure vanilla extract and stir gently. Place soup on low and blend to a smooth consistency with a hand blender or put into tall blender and mix until smooth. Serve warmed with a garnish on top of sprinkled walnuts, cubed chilled pears, grated zucchini spirals and a few sprigs of fresh thyme for a nice presentation.
This would go well with grilled chicken, seafood or a BBQ pork tenderloin and a fresh baby green salad with seasonal peaches and nectarines to optimize the flavours of the seasonal fresh fruits this time of year.